If you’re looking to detox after indulging in too much Super Bowl food last night during the big game… this Very Pretty Salad is for you! Looks aside, this salad tastes good and is good for you; made with fiber rich kale, antioxidant rich green apple and immune boosting cashews. Please note that not all quantities are listed because honestly, it’s up to you how much you want to use!
Ingredients: Makes 2 large dinner size salads
- 1 bunch red leaf kale
- 1 large head of endive
- 1/2 green apple, sliced into matchsticks
- chopped cashews
- gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- dressing of choice
- Remove main rib from each kale leaf using a sharp knife. Chop kale, then gently massage with your hands (it helps to break up the fiber, making the kale more readily digestible).
- Slice endive perpendicularly to produce rings. Stack rings and then slice them in half.
- Combine above ingredients with green apple matchsticks, craisins and cashews.
- Toss with the dressing of your choice. Top salad with gorgonzola crumbles.
Because kale and endive hold up well in the refrigerator, this salad medley can last several days in the fridge as long as it’s not dressed. And yes, massaging your kale is a real thing, lol! My brother introduced me to the concept (I originally thought he was joking) and it does help “soften” the kale making it more palatable so you feel less like your chewing on a leaf!
PS – I dress my Very Pretty Salad with a tablespoon of Brianna’s Rich Poppyseed dressing which is delicious!
PSS – I also top it with my toasted chickpeas (see Chickpeas, Please recipe) for a protein and flavor boost!