Comfort food – lightened up! And better yet, your crock pot does all the hard work.
Easy to prep, beautiful to serve and delicious to eat. Enjoy!!
Ingredients: Feeds 6 – 8, great left over!
- cooking spray
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1, 15oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1, 15oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of red pepper flake
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 – 4 fresh basil leaves
- 1 bunch of Lacinto Kale, washed and chopped
- 1 lb chicken sausage sliced on a diagonal into 1in chunks
- chopped parsley as garnish
- loaf of Italian or other crusty bread
- Lightly coat your crockpot with cooking spray. Add the stock, tomatoes, beans, garlic, seasonings and fresh herbs and mix until combined.
- Cover and set crockpot on LOW. Let cook for 4hrs then carefully remove the rosemary stems. Using a hand masher, mash half the beans to thicken the broth.
- Add the chopped kale and cook 30 more minutes until it wilts down. Add the chunked sausage and cook another 30 minutes until warmed.
- Serve stew atop a slice of toasty garlic or crusty bread and garnish with fresh parsley.
This stew would be great made with spinach instead of kale (or any leafy green). I used flavored chicken sausage (Asiago and Spinach) or you could use traditional Italian pork sausage. Get cooking and make it your own!!