This is delicious twist on traditional slow cooker short ribs! The medley of mushrooms and the sweet and spicy flavor of the sauce, pair perfectly with these fall-off-the-bone short ribs. Serve it up over egg noodles with a side Napa Cabbage Slaw and you’ve got the makings of a unique and tasty Sunday Supper!
Ingredients: Feeds 4 – 6
- 10 – 12, bone -in beef short ribs, trimmed (approx. 4 lbs)
- 2 tbsp canola oil (plus extra if needed)
- cooking spray
- 3 cups fresh, sliced, assorted mushrooms
- 2 tbsp minced garlic, divided
- 2 tbsp minced ginger, divided
- 1 cup low sodium beef stock
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp red pepper flake
- Rinse and pat the ribs dry. In a heavy bottom skillet or dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season ribs with salt and pepper and brown on all sides in small batches, adding oil to the skillet if needed.
- Transfer browned ribs to a lightly sprayed 6-qt slow cooker.
- Meanwhile, add mushrooms and half the minced garlic and ginger to the skillet and sauté until they begin to soften.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients including the remaining garlic and ginger, the stock, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and red pepper flake.
- Cover ribs with mushroom mixture and pour sauce over top.
- Cook on LOW for 6 – 8 hours, until meat falls off the bone.
- Place rib meat on a serving platter. Use a slotted spoon to remove mushrooms and garnish the meat with them. Skim fat from the cooking liquid and drizzle sauce over the platter.
*Original recipe adapted from Cooking Light, Asian Short Ribs