You won’t fool the meat lovers in your life but you will serve them a super flavorful, lighter version of this classic dish. If you’re tempted to nix the cheese and cream…don’t! They truly elevate the sauce and take this dish to the next level, #trust. Mangia bene!!
Ingredients: Feed 4 – 6
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 8 oz portobello mushrooms, rough chop
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp TJ’s Umami seasoning
- 1/2 cup red wine (the kind you’d drink!)
- 8 oz tempeh, chopped
- 2, 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp prepared pesto
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- pinch red pepper flake
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grate parmesan cheese, plus extra
- splash (about 1/4 cup) heavy cream
- 1 lb cooked pasta (I like brown rice fettuccine with this sauce)
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic and sauté until softened. Season with Umami seasoning and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add wine (pour yourself a glass while you’re at it!) and let the alcohol burn off while stirring and scraping any bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Next, add the chopped tempeh and stir to combine. Follow with the tomatoes, pesto, tomato paste and honey. Stir some more, then add the oregano, red pepper flake and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Lastly, add cheese and a splash of heavy cream and mix well. Add cooked pasta to the sauce and toss to coat. Serve with additional cheese and chopped parsley garnish.