This is a tasty alternative to traditional meat tacos! Although butternut squash may not be your first pick for tacos, the adobo, clove and cumin really elevate this veg and give the taco filling some serious flavor! If that’s not enough to get your meatless mouths watering, the toppings will; fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, toasted pepitas and juicy lime! Just do it!!
Ingredients: Feeds 4, 2 tacos each
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 16 oz cubed frozen butternut squash
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 toasted whole wheat tortillas
- 1 small bunch cilantro rinsed, stems removed and chopped
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar
- toasted pepitas
- lime wedges
- Heat oil in a shallow heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add the minced chipotle chile, stir and cook a few more minutes allowing adobo flavor to develop. Add the squash and seasonings, mix well, reduce heat and cover. Let cook 8 – 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, toast your tortillas in the oven or in a hot cast iron pan.
- To serve, schmear a dollop of sour cream down the center of the tortilla. Place a spoonful of the squash mixture on top and sprinkle with shredded cheese, toasted pepitas and a squirt of fresh lime juice. Fold, roll and enjoy!!
*Recipe adapted from Alex Stupak, People Magazine