These no mess, no fuss, one dish sliders are a Friday night favorite in our house! They easily feed my family of four and the left overs heat up perfectly in the microwave the next day for lunch or a quick snack!
Ingredients: Makes 12 sliders, feeds 4-6 people
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 dozen dinner size rolls*
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Firmly press the ground beef into a 9×13 casserole dish. Be sure to press into the corners and cover the entire surface evenly.
- Spread the chopped onions on top of the meat, season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Meanwhile, cut rolls in half, all the way through.
- Meat will shrink and form a slab. Using two spatulas at opposite ends, lift the meat from the dish and place on a cutting board or other clean work surface.
- Drain any fat from the dish and wipe it clean with a paper towel.
- Lightly spray your casserole dish. Place the bottoms of the rolls in the dish creating a 3×4 grid or pattern.
- Using the same technique as before, lift the meat and place it on top of the bottoms of the rolls.
- Cover the meat with the cheese slices. Top meat with roll tops.
- Baste tops with the melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Bake an additional 8-10 minutes or until tops turn golden brown.
- Before serving, run a knife around the edges and through the grid pattern, separating each individual slider.
- I use an 80/20 mixture of ground beef, we like our burgers to be juicy!
- You can omit the onions if that’s not your style. You can also use any kind of cheese.
- Same thing goes for the sesame seeds. I’ve seen them topped with poppy seeds as well.
- I use Martin’s Dinner Size Potato Rolls*. They are the perfect size and the package comes complete with 2, 6 “packs” of rolls. Martin’s is an East Coast company and may not be available everywhere… I’ve also seen them made with King’s Hawaiian Rolls which are typically more readily available.
- In our house, we top our sliders with bread and butter pickle slices! Be sure to have your favorite toppings on hand!
Recipe adapted from Tasty