As I said on Insta, this soup may change your life! It’s incredibly easy to make and the flavors are off the chart! As my husband would say… it’s a “no-brainer”! Be sure to give it a try!
Ingredients: Feeds 6 – 8
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- 1, 12 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1, 28 oz can diced tomato (fire roasted if possible)
- 1, 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1, 15 oz can corn, drained
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 light cream
- 1/3 cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro and green onion for serving
- tortilla chips
- Rinse chicken, pat dry and place in the bottom of your crockpot.
- Add the next 10 ingredients (onion – chicken stock) and stir to mix. Set crockpot on high for 3.5 hours, stir occasionally.
- Remove chicken, shred with two forks, then return it to the pot.
- Reduce heat to low, add the cream and shredded cheese. Mix well and let cook an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and cream is incorporated.
- Place a handful of tortilla chips in the bottom of individual serving bowls. Ladle 2 scoops of soup on top of the chips. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of both cilantro and green onion. Muy Bien!
- The original recipe called for chicken breast but I prefer boneless, skinless thighs especially with crockpot recipes.
- I tried to lighten things up a bit by using low sodium stock, light cream and low fat cheese. You could even eliminate the cream if you really wanted to…
- Don’t pass on the tortilla chips!!! They’re a must and layering them at the bottom of the bowl and allowing a few minutes for them to soften and dissolve, really gives this dish its authentic flair!
*Adapted from delish.com