Why buy hummus when homemade hummus tastes sooooo much better?!
Ingredients: Makes enough to feed a crowd!
- 1, 15 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 3 large cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- good olive oil (approximately 1/4 – 1/2 cup)
- warm water
- 6 oz roasted red peppers in oil, drained
- In your food processor, pulse together the chickpeas, tahini, garlic and salt until broken down and combined. Mixture will appear crumbly and a bit dry.
- Turn food processor on. Start adding/alternating amounts of oil and warm water (about 2 tbsp at a time) through the feeder tube, until mixture is well combined and at your desired consistency.
- Finally, add and pulse the roasted red peppers until incorporated.
- Serve with your favorite pita chips and sliced veggies or smear on your next sandwich or bun!
This recipe is more a set of guidelines… making hummus can be very personal, lol! For example, the amount of garlic and salt can be adjusted based on your preferences. In addition, you can sub almost anything for roasted red peppers creating your own unique flavor. Consider the following…
- olives (salty)
- artichokes (smooth)
- carrots (sweet)
- beets (earthy)
- spice (is nice!)