Tuesday belongs to the taco!!! And this recipe promises to deliver! Don’t let the long list of ingredients deter you… they combine to make a flavorful sauce while your crockpot does all the hard work!
Ingredients: Serves 4-6 people
- 2 dried ancho chiles
- 1, 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 3 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp canned adobo sauce
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 16 corn tortillas
- 2 oz Cotija cheese, crumbled
- cilantro, chopped for garnishing
- lime wedges
- Place dried chiles in a bowl with warm water for 10 minutes. Drain, remove stems and seeds.
- Process chiles with tomatoes, onions, almonds, chocolate, raisins, stock, cumin, adobo sauce, cinnamon, chipotle chiles and garlic in a food processor or blender, until smooth.
- Rinse chicken, pat dry and place in the bottom of a crockpot and sprinkle with salt. Cover with tomato mixture and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred using two forks. Reserve 1 1/2 – 2 cups mole sauce for another use. Return shredded chicken to the crockpot.
- Heat tortillas over an open flame on your stove, one tortilla at a time, until charred.
- Top tortillas with chicken mixture, Cotija cheese and cilantro. Serve with a lime wedge.
Suggestions for the extra sauce… DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT toss this sauce! It makes a great base for chili, marinade for pork or chicken, or sauce for any latin dish!
*Adapted from Cooking Light, Slow Cooker Chicken Mole Tacos