Shakshuka is hot right now! Every time I scroll through IG, I see a pic of someone’s Shakshuka and so, I felt it was imperative that I join in the fun! I followed no recipe, this is completely allllll mine!!! So feel free to put your own twist on it and make it yours too:)
Ingredients: Makes 2 hearty servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp curry
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried cilantro
- 1, 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1, 15 oz can chopped fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 3 handfuls fresh baby spinach
- pinch of chile powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 oz halloumi cheese, crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 2 pita
- chopped cilantro for garnishing
- In a large enamel coated cast iron pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add chickpeas and spices including numeric, curry, garlic powder, and dried cilantro and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, veggie stock and salsa and continue to cook. Lower heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach, a pinch of chile powder and stir until the spinach begins to wilt. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- While mixture continues to simmer, scatter the cheese on top. Next, crack an egg over each “corner” of the mixture and cover with a lid.
- Let eggs “poach” in the mixture for 3-5 minutes, to desired doneness.
- Scoop and serve 2 eggs with sauce atop a quartered pita and garnish with fresh cilantro.
The addition of chickpeas, salsa, spinach and halloumi were all based on different versions of Shakshuka that I’ve seen on the internet. I have no real idea what a true Shakshuka looks or tastes like! So have fun with it and create your own version of Shakshuka!
PS – check out my IG for more (better) pics of the process!