The added apple and cayenne pepper elevate the flavor and add a kick to this simple butternut squash soup! It’s the perfect weeknight supper, paired with salad or sammies! Start to finish, you can have it on the table in 40 minutes with only 10 minutes of active prep!
Ingredients: Feeds 4-6
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and chopped (approx. 6-8 cups)
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped (I use Gala)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven or enamel coated cast iron pot, sauté onion, celery and carrot in butter over medium heat until the onion is soft.
- Add the squash and apple, the cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne. Stir to incorporate all ingredients.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer on low until veggies are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Using an immersion blender, purée the soup to desired consistency.
- Off heat, stir in sour cream to make it more creamy before you purée the soup.
- Alternative spices include smoked paprika and/or cumin to give it a more middle eastern flair!
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche, parsley, cilantro or chives… and don’t forget the toasted pepitas!
* Adapted from Simply Recipes, Butternut Squash Apple Soup