You asked, so here it is… the recipe for last night’s Thai chicken lettuce wraps! I use the sauce as both a marinade and a condiment. Enjoy!
Ingredients: Feeds 4
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- Juice from 1 lime
- 4 tsp red chili paste
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken tenders
- 1 head bib lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup sprouts
- 1/2 yellow pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Whisk the first six ingredients together in a large bowl. Remove half the mixture and store in a small container in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
- Keep the remaining mixture in the bowl and add the chicken tenders. Toss to coat, cover with plastic wrap and let marinate a minimum of 2 hours (6 – 8 is best).
- Grill chicken over medium heat approximately 10 – 12 minutes, turning once.
- Meanwhile, Remove the individual leaves from the head of lettuce, discarding any that are too small to be used as a wrap. Rinse and pat dry.
- Serve your guests a grilled chicken tender wrapped in a lettuce leaf. The left over sauce, shredded cabbage, carrot, sprouts, yellow pepper, cashews and cilantro serve as optional toppings.
- Sauce doubles easily and stores well in the refrigerator.
- Pick and choose toppings that your family/guests will enjoy!
*Sauce adapted from Cooking Light, January 2018