I love this salad! Mostly because it’s so versatile (see substitutions) but also because it’s a delicious crowd pleaser and can be made ahead. It’s the perfect side dish or can serve as a main if you add protein. So get to it and come up with your own flavor combo and let me know how it goes by posting your comments below! Cheers!!
Ingredients: Feeds 6-8
- 2 1/2 cups cooked farro, rinsed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup packed flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup packed mint leaves, chopped
- 4 oz haloumi cheese, cubed
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 pomegranate, seeded
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups baby arugula
- Cook farro according to package directions and let cool. Toast pine nuts and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine grape tomatoes, parsley and mint. Add haloumi, pine nuts and pomegranate seeds and mix gently to incorporate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, lemon zest and salt and pepper.
- Combine farro and tomato mixture with 2/3 of the dressing, tossing gently to coat.
- Pour the remaining dressing into the bottom of a large shallow serving bowl. Top with arugula.
- Layer the farro salad on top of the arugula.
- Chill* and toss before serving.
*Salad can chill overnight.
The best part about this salad is making it your own! The original recipe was adapted from Food and Wine magazine but I change it up every time I make it!
- barley or orzo for farro
- walnuts or almonds for pine nuts
- ricotta salata or feta for haloumi
- grapes for grape tomatoes
- blueberries/raspberries/strawberries for pomegranate seeds
- add protein like grilled chicken, steak or fish for a complete meal