Can’t go wrong with this salad! It’s filling, fresh, flavorful and makes a great side dish. Tonight I served it alongside kababs and tomorrow it will make a great leftover lunch. It feeds a crowd so consider taking it to your next bbq or block party! Enjoy!!
Ingredients: Feeds 8
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups tri-color orzo pasta
- 1 tbsp honey
- juice from 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- small bunch of flat leaf parsley, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 oz ricotta salata, diced
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 handfuls arugula/baby spinach blend
- In a medium pot, bring stock to a boil. Reduce heat, slowly add orzo and stir. Simmer until cooked al dente (approximately 8 – 10 min), drain off any remaining liquid and rinse. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing. In a medium bowl whisk together honey, lemon, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix gently to combine the parsley, scallions, tomatoes, cheese and almonds.
- Once orzo has cooled, fluff it with fork to break apart any clumps. Pour the dressing over top and mix in the ingredients in the remaining bowl. Let salad chill in the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to serving. Just before serving, fold in the greens.
*Original recipe adapted from melskitchencafe.com, with thanks to Dina C. for sharing!