Another snow day, another strudel! Back by popular demand, my kids asked me to make these again if they had no school today. Alas, it is the first full day of Spring and it has already snowed 3 inches with several more forecasted!?! Their wish is my command… strudel it is!!!
Ingredients: Makes 2 strudels, feeds 4 – 6
- 2 puff pastry sheets (approx. 8 oz each), thawed
- 3 tbsp softened cream cheese
- 2 tbsp strawberry preserves
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp grape jelly
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp raw sugar granules
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Gently unfold each pastry sheet and orient it “portrait” style.
- Spread the softened cream cheese down the center third of the first sheet, leaving approximately a quarter inch of space from each edge.
- Carefully spread the strawberry preserves on top of the cream cheese.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 using the almond butter and grape jelly, respectively.
- Using a sharp knife (I use a pizza cutter), make 6 cuts at a 45 degree angle approximately 1 inch apart, down each remaining side of the pastry. Next, braid the pastry strips you just created and fold over the center section, sealing the fillings inside.
- Use a fork to crimp and seal the edges at the top and bottom. Brush each with the beaten egg and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes, until puffed and golden brown! Serve warm for best results!
- Nutella and Banana
- Peanut Butter and sliced Strawberries
- Cream Cheese and Chocolate Chips
- Although strudel is traditionally a sweet treat, sautéed veggies and cheese would be delicious too!!