I saw Nigella Lawson make a similar dish on the Today Show last week and decided to put my own spin on it! What’s great about this dish, besides its amazing flavor, is its simplicity. It’s not only easy to make (requiring one large bowl and one baking dish), the result is a simple meat/potato/vegetable ensemble that everyone in the family will love!
Ingredients: Feeds 4-6
- 1, 24 oz package of frozen sweet peas
- 1.5 lbs baby yellow potatoes, quartered
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 leeks sliced into 1/2 in thick rounds
- 1/2 cup sweet vermouth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss peas and potatoes with 2 tbsp olive oil, minced garlic and 1 tbsp of dill. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 9×13 baking dish, lightly greased with cooking spray.
- In the same bowl, toss chicken thighs with remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place chicken on top of the peas and potatoes.
- Scatter the sliced leeks on top of the chicken, peas and potatoes. Pour the vermouth over the everything. Sprinkle with remaining dill.
- Cover dish loosely with foil and bake for 40 minutes, basting the chicken occasionally. Remove foil, bake an additional 5-10 minutes until chicken is cooked thoroughly and leeks have begun to caramelize.
- Substitute white wine for vermouth, or use low sodium chicken stock.
- Lighten things up by using chicken breast instead of thighs.