Worth the effort, for sure! These mini pot pies put a smile on everyone’s face, every time!
Ingredients: Makes 4 mini pies
- 4 disposable mini pie tins or similarly sized ceramic ramekins
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 large carrots, sliced into coins
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 refrigerated pie crusts
- In a large, deep skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrots and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Begin adding small amounts of milk and stock, alternating between the two and stirring constantly. Mixture will begin to thicken, reduce heat to low.
- Add the peas and the chicken, and mix to combine.
- Add the salt, pepper and thyme.
- Remove from heat, taste and adjust seasonings if needed and let cool.
- Meanwhile, roll out a pie crust on a lightly floured surface. Using a pie tin or ramekin as a template, cut a circle from the dough that is approximately one inch wider than the dish; this will be the bottom of the pie. Cut another circle that is the same size as the dish for the top of the pie. You may need to use a rolling pin to re-roll the dough or combine scraps with a new crust.
- Place the larger circle in the bottom of a pie tin or ramekin. Fill to the top with the cooled pot pie filling. Top with the smaller piece and crimp the edge with a fork to seal it. Carefully poke a few small holes in the top of the pie to create vents.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 to make 3 more mini pies.
- Bake covered at 375 for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 additional minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand five minutes before serving, contents will be hot!
- Instead of rotisserie chicken, I often use baked, bone-in chicken breast which I cube after cooling. Two large breasts produce enough chicken for 4 pies.
- Recipe doubles easily!
- Pot pies can be frozen prior to cooking; cover completely with foil and freeze for up to 2 months. To bake from frozen, bake at 400 for 30 minutes covered, then remove foil and bake an additional 30 minutes or until crust is golden.
*Adapted from the Today Show, Freeze and Bake Chicken Pot Pies