Back by popular demand… Chicken and Waffles! These tender, crunchy coated chicken strips rival any piece of southern fried chicken; and the best part is they’re baked not fried! Stack them on top of a warm, buttermilk waffle drizzled with Sriracha-Maple syrup and you’ve got a dish that will quickly become your favorite “Breakfast for Dinner” go-to!
Ingredients: Feeds 4
- cooking spray
- 1/3 cup pure Maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 cups Corn Flakes, crushed
- 3/4 cup Panko style bread crumbs
- 1 3/4 – 2 lbs chicken breast tenders (approximately 12 tenders)
- 4 buttermilk waffles*, homemade or frozen
- sliced green onion
- fruit salad
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a wire rack on top of a rimmed baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine syrup, Sriracha and soy sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Gather 3 shallow dishes. In the first, combine the flour, salt and paprika. In the second, beat the eggs and milk. In the third, mix the Corn Flakes and Panko.
- Dredge each chicken tender in the flour, then the egg wash, followed by the Corn Flake/Panko crumbs. Place each on the wire rack. Lightly spray the entire batch with cooking spray before baking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until chicken is cooked and crust is golden.
- In the meantime, prepare your waffles as desired or according to package directions.
- Serve 2 – 3 tenders on top of each cooked waffle with a pat of butter, a drizzle of syrup, a sprinkle of green onion and a side of fruit salad!
As far as waffles go, I almost always go with Aunt Jemima’s Buttermilk Complete! All you need to do is add water (and a pinch of cinnamon) and you’re good to go. A frozen alternative might be Eggo or Vans.
If you want to kick up the spice a notch, when you whisk your eggs and milk together, add a squirt of Sriracha!
Adapted from Cooking Light, One Sheet Recipes