Like many of you, I am making an effort to clean up my eating habits and drop a few Covid-era pounds, by adopting a keto friendly diet in 2023! I came across this recipe through a program I am loosely following and reluctantly gave it a go. I was highly skeptical based on my New Jersey bagel shop roots (I’m a tough sell and and fierce bagel critic) but I must say, they are quite good! Honestly, these bagels are probably the size an actual bagel should be and despite the lack of traditional flour, have a bread-like consistency. They are best served warm either straight from the oven or zapped in the microwave prior to consumption. My husband has been enjoying his portion with a schmear of cream cheese and lox! Who knew keto bagels could taste so good!! Enjoy.
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I like 4 cheese Italian blend)
- 1/4 cup cream cheese (1/4 of a block)
- 2 eggs
- EBTB seasoning (I love Trader Joes!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl combine flour and baking powder and set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine shredded cheese and cream cheese. Microwave for 1 minute and stir. Continue to microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring often, until melted and well blended.
- Next, add flour and eggs to warm cheese mixture and work quickly to combine. I like to use a dough cutter but you can also use your hands or your stand mixer with dough hook. Dough will be sticky!
- Divide dough into 6 portions. Roll each into a log and wrap end to end and pinch to seal. Sprinkle generously with EBTB seasoning.
- Place onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes.
Feel free to sub toppings with poppy or sesame seeds, minced onion or garlic, even sea salt flakes if you so desire!!
*Adapted from The 28 Day Metabolic Reset