My dad Rudy makes the BEST potato salad, drawing inspiration from his German heritage. Although I draw my inspiration from his original recipe, I use less vinegar. What we both have in common is mixing everything together while the potatoes are still warm. It makes a huge difference in the profile and complexity of this rather simple dish; as the potatoes cool they absorb all the flavors and the result is pure deliciousness! Enjoy!!
Ingredients: Feeds 8
- 3 lbs baby Yukon Gold potatoes (skin on), quartered
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 ribs of celery, chopped
- 3 eggs, hard boiled, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped (plus more as garnish)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil with the potatoes in the pot. Once boiling, stir occasionally and cook approximately 15-20 minutes until you can easily pierce a potato with a fork and go all the way through. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix the warm potatoes with the mayonnaise, mustard and apple cider vinegar. Gently fold in the chopped celery, egg and scallion.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- This salad can be served warm, however, I like to let chill 2 – 3 hours in the fridge before serving to allow time for the flavors to develop. Garnish with additional chopped scallion if desired.