I make this refreshing salsa so often this time of year, I don’t even need to pull out the recipe anymore! Anyone who’s ever tasted it has either asked me how to make it or asked me to bring it when we’re invited to a picnic or BBQ. I think you’ll agree, it’s the perfect summer accompaniment to chips and a margarita and takes only minutes to pull together. So get to it… and Enjoy!!
Ingredients: Serves 6 – 8
- 3 cups chopped seedless watermelon
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, washed and chopped (approx 4 tbsp)
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- pinch red pepper flake
- pepper to taste
- In a medium size bowl combine watermelon, cilantro, jalapeño and onion.
- Season with lime juice, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flake and pepper (to taste) and toss to coat.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
- Just prior to serving gently fold in the avocado and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips!
Adding the avocado and salt at the end prevents the avocado from turning brown and the salt from leeching all the water from the watermelon creating a soupy texture.
*Adapted from Watermelon Salsa courtesy of Paula’s Pantry