Somewhere on this blog, there already exists a recipe for individual chicken pot pies! The following recipe will be very similar in many ways, however what makes this twist unique is that it presents as one large pie that you serve family style! It’s complete with all the trimmings you’d find on your holiday dinner table including tender roasted chicken, buttery peas and carrots, creamy corn and mushroom dressing; all baked inside a flaky crust! What’s best is that it calls for pre-made pie crust and rotisserie chicken which makes your life easier for sure and can be adapted to include any leftover (or holiday favorite) veggies you have on hand!
Ingredients: Serves 6 – 8
- 2 pre-made pie crusts
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced/chopped mushrooms
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp Trader Joe’s Umami seasoning or similar spice blend
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 2/3 cup frozen corn (I used fire roasted)
- 2/3 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 rotisserie chicken, picked
- Remove pie crust from the fridge and let come to room temp. Meanwhile pick the white and dark meat from your rotisserie chicken and set it aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook (stirring occasionally) until onions are no longer opaque and mushrooms begin to soften.
- Add the flour and Umami seasoning and stir with a fork until a thick paste forms. Slowly add and in the chicken stock and milk and whisk until incorporated. Mix in the salt, pepper, thyme and sage. Allow mixture to begin to boil, then reduce heat and let sauce simmer until it thickens, stirring often.
- Once mixture is thickened, add in the frozen veggies. Let cook for a few minutes until they defrost and then add the chicken. Stir until all ingredients are well mixed and then remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
- While mixture cools, prepare your pie crust and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lay one crust on the bottom of a large (preferably glass/ceramic) pie dish and gently press dough into the sides and over the top edge.
- Take cooled mixture and pour it into your pie dish and spread evenly. Top with the remaining pie crust and use a fork to crimp the edges all the way around. Use the fork to poke a few holes into the center of the crust to allow some heat/steam to escape while it cooks. This will prevent the crust from cracking.
- Place pie on a large cookie sheet and into the oven. Bake for 40 – 50 minutes, until crust is golden, edges begin to brown and sauce oozes from the vent holes!
- Let sit 10 – 15 minutes prior to serving. Present your masterpiece to your family/guests before cutting with a sharp knife. Use a pie spatula to transfer slices to your plates.
One thought on “Family Style Chicken Pot Pie”
Yummy! One of my favorites.