They say 1 in 10 of these little green peppers is “hot” but somehow I ate 24 in one shot and only ran into 1 that made me grab my drink for some minor relief!? My point is, the shishito isn’t recognized for it’s heat but more for it’s flavor and versatility. I’ve seen them prepared deep fried, pan fried and oven roasted. I prefer them roasted simply because the prep/clean-up is a breeze and you don’t end up drowning this somewhat sweet and delicate pepper in a vat of oil. This recipe is quick and easy and the shishitos turn out perfectly blistered! Have a little fun at your next get-together playing ‘Russian Roulette’ with your food! Enjoy!!
Ingredients: Feeds 4 – 6, appetizer portions
- 8 oz shishito peppers, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup Panko style bread crumbs
- 1 – 2 tbsp Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel Sesame Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a cookie sheet with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl, toss dry peppers with sesame oil to coat. Add the Panko and the seasoning and continue to toss until combined/coated.
- Transfer peppers to the cookie sheet and spread out in a single layer.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until peppers are blistered, flipping them half way through. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve warm with ranch dressing or dipping sauce of choice.
My grocer carries one brand of shishito peppers, Freida’s, so that’s my go to. They come packaged in 8 oz potions so it makes it easy to grab and go when I am shopping. If your grocer sells shishito peppers in bulk, simply grab 3 – 4 handfuls and you’ll end up with the equivalent of 8 oz give or take!
2 thoughts on “Blistered Shishito Peppers”
These look amazing! Going to try!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Let me know what you think!!