Try making this easy yet decadent breakfast casserole next time you need to feed (and wow) a crowd! It’s your basic french toast casserole complete with egg batter but what makes it special are the flaky croissants that take the place of boring old bread! Oh, and don’t forget the hidden layer of gooey blackberry preserves and creamy cream cheese! Top each serving off with homemade whipped cream and your favorite fresh berries and you’re all set. Enjoy!!
Ingredients: Feeds 8 – 10
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 tbsp maple syrup, divided
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 day old croissants, roughly torn
- 1, 10 oz jar of blackberry preserves (or any other berry flavor)
- 6 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- fresh berries as garnish
- powdered sugar
- Grease a 9×13 casserole dish liberally with cooking spray or butter.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, 2 tbsp of syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Fold in the torn croissants and gently toss to coat.
- Layer half the croissant pieces in the bottom of your casserole dish. Add dollops of jam and cubes of cream cheese over top. Finish by layering with the remaining croissant pieces. Pour any remaining egg mixture over top.
- Cover with foil and chill in the refrigerator at least 3 hours (can go over night). Remove foil and bake at 375 for 45 – 50 minutes until croissants are toasty and jam and cream cheese oozes up. If croissants get too toasty prior to end time, re-cover loosely with foil until finished baking.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream*, berries and powdered sugar.
*To make the whipped cream simply combine heavy cream with 1 tbsp maple syrup and whip until stiff peaks form.
Original recipe adapted from halfbakedharvest.com
One thought on “Baked Blackberry Croissant French Toast”
Yum! Drooling! Thank you!