Heads up, if you’re a fan of cauliflower, vodka sauce and/or parmigiana, trust me, you’ll want to try this recipe! With all three rolled into one delicious dish, how can you go wrong?!
Ingredients: Feeds 6 – 8
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp prepared pesto
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- pinch of red pepper flake
- 6 cups (approx. 40 oz) frozen cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- In a large dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until glistening. Add garlic and sauté a few minutes more. Pour in the can of crushed tomatoes, add the pesto and fresh basil and stir to combine. Bring sauce to a boil then add the vodka. Let boil for a few minutes to allow alcohol to burn off. Reduce heat to a simmer and add honey and seasonings. Mix well and let cook for 10 minutes or so partially covered.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain frozen cauliflower. Add to the sauce and stir to coat. Cook for another 10 minutes. Turn off heat and mix in the parmesan.
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Transfer cauliflower and sauce to the dish. Top with shredded mozzarella and bake for 30 minutes uncovered, until sauce and cheese bubble and brown. Serve with crusty bread!
Helpful Hint: I use frozen cauliflower but if you want to use fresh, you should blanch it prior to adding it to your sauce!