Today’s a two-fer and it’s not even Tuesday!! Following my Ratatouille Nachos appetizer this afternoon, my family will dine on this delightful summer side salad and grilled pork chops (also on the blog, search brined pork chops). I love a good Panzanella and the addition of watermelon is a no-brainer this time of year! Enjoy!!
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread (or anything with a similar consistency and crust)
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra
- zest and juice from one lime
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 6 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
- 1/2 medium red onion, halved and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn
- Preheat oven to 400. Slice bread horizontally, brush both sides with olive oil and bake for 8 – 10 minutes (turning halfway) until crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together 3 tbsp of olive oil, zest and juice from the lime and the minced jalapeño and set dressing aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cubed watermelon, red onion, basil and feta.
- Remove bread from oven and let cool. Cut into 1-inch chunks. Add chunked bread to bowl with watermelon mixture. Toss everything together and coat with the dressing.
- Serve immediately! Pairs well with anything grilled, especially pork!
*Adapted from Eating Well magazine.