I took a friend’s family recipe for Irish soda bread and tweaked it to make muffins! Many of you on social media reached out for the recipe so here it is!
Ingredients: Makes 12 large muffins or 1 loaf
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk (for loaf), 1 1/2 cups for muffins
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds, plus extra
- 1 cup raisins, plus extra
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients (not including caraway seeds or raisins) and mix well.
- Add butter, eggs and buttermilk and blend on low with an electric hand mixer. Once combined, blend on high until batter is smooth.
- Fold in caraway seeds and raisins.
- Generously grease either an oven safe pie dish or a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Pour batter into pie dish or divide equally among muffin wells. Sprinkle with additional caraway seeds and raisins if desired.
- Bake loaf for 45-50 min or muffins for 25-30 min, until a toothpick comes out clean. Best enjoyed warm with a schmear of butter!!