This easy to make dish is versatile enough to pair with a fancy holiday meal or serve as a weeknight supper side dish!
Ingredients: Feeds 6
- 1/2 lb bacon, sliced and chopped
- 2 small shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 pints brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tbsp whole grain dijon style mustard
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- In an enamel coated skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until fat renders and bacon begins to crisp.
- Add the shallots, mix and cook until they begin to soften.
- Reduce heat to medium/low, add the garlic and stir, letting garlic sauté for about a minute or so (taking care not to let it start to burn) and then add the Brussel sprouts.
- Mix well and allow the sprouts to cook until their outer surface begins to brown and they start to soften. Add the mustard, stir and cook a minute more.
- Add the chicken stock and partially cover the skillet, allowing sprouts to steam. Stir occasionally, cook until stock is gone.
- Uncover and cook 5 more minutes, stirring frequently. Brussel sprouts should be tender and browned, bacon should be crisp.
- Serve immediately or transfer to an oven/microwave safe dish, vent until cool, and then reheat when needed.