This easy quinoa salad was the brain child of my darling daughter who was craving something nutritious and delicious for lunch; after-all, it’s June and both school and bag lunches are completely over-rated by now! This hearty grain bowl type salad tastes great served over your favorite salad greens and even better when topped with additional protein like the roasted chickpeas you see pictured (also on this blog, search “Chickpeas, Please”). Surprise your student with something new and different for lunch or make it for yourself; it keeps well and can also serve as a dinner time side dish or be brought to the next neighborhood bbq! Enjoy!!
Ingredients: Makes 6-8 servings
- 4 cups prepared quinoa*
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and cubed
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored and cubed
- 2 carrots, grated
- 3 scallion, chopped
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions and let cool.
- In a large bowl combine quinoa, cucumber, apple, carrot, scallion and feta.
- Drizzle oil and lemon over top and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to desired taste.
- Serve over your favorite chopped greens and top with additional protein if desired.
*I prepared my quinoa using low sodium chicken stock to enhance the flavor.