I cannot take credit for the catchy name or the tasty combination of ingredients; I know quite a few home cooks who have their own version of this recipe on file! However, I can tell you how I make it as well as list a few unique ways to repurpose your leftovers!
Ingredients: Serves 10 – 12
- 24 oz frozen corn, thawed
- 1, 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup cilantro (loosely packed), chopped
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- juice from one lime
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt (plus extra)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper (plus extra)
- Combine first seven ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the last six ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add the liquid to the corn mixture and toss to coat.
- Adjust seasoning to your personal taste preferences by adding additional salt and/or pepper..
- Let chill 2 – 3 hours, allowing flavors to develop.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
IF you have them… consider the following (drain any liquid that accumulates first):
- Add it to eggs in a scramble or a quiche, or use it in egg cups (search site for recipe).
- Fold into corn bread batter to jazz up your corn muffins/corn bread.
- Top grilled chicken or fish with a scoop.
- Toss it with a green salad.